Home Birth with Duluth Midwife
I am a midwife who wears many hats in the birth world, and has a habit of questioning every aspect of the care I give and how I can continue to improve upon it. I enjoy working with clients who are excited to take on the challenge of customizing their pregnancy and birth experience, and taking control of as much of the process as they wish. This means I work with a lots of mamas who catch their own babies, birth their own placentas, and tell me afterwards that their birth was the time in their life when they felt the most powerful. Nothing about your care is routine, or mandatory. Every choice is a conversation, and every decision you make will be held with respect. I am an apprenticeship trained and research obsessed midwife who enjoys combining traditional midwifery skills with cutting edge research. I am trained to handle the emergencies that can arise during pregnancy, labor and birth, and I am equally interested in preventing those emergencies in the first place through common sense methods. I love my role as a midwife, and also love becoming close with my clients. All of my prenatal and postpartum visits are typically done in your home, and last between 1-2 hours. I try to make our visits as valuable as possible, whatever that means for you. If you are trying to get outside more, maybe we will go for a hike while we do the talking part of our visit!
When I am not attending my Duluth clients, I am co-running Indie Birth, a large birth organization that provides online education to parents and trains the midwives of tomorrow through our Indie Birth Midwifery School and accompanying educational programs. As a client, you get the benefit of accessing all the amazing resources Indie Birth has to offer, including our signature birth courses and webinars. I also love photography and offer birth and maternity photos free to my amazing clients.
The Midwifery Model of Care
Midwifery care is a completely different approach than conventional obstetrical care. The "wise woman model of care" which I strive for is ALSO different than other styles of midwifery. The care I provide is nurturing, hands-on care before, during, and after birth. Midwives are experts in normal pregnancy and childbirth who develop a trusting relationship with their clients, which results in confident, supported, positive and safe labor and birth experiences. I provide comprehensive prenatal care and education, guide clients through the labor and birth process, address any complications if they come up, and care for normal, healthy newborns. This philosophy and approach is based on the fact that pregnancy and birth are normal life events. My model of care includes:
- offering monitoring for the physical, psychological and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle
- providing individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, and postpartum support
- minimizing technological and not so technological interventions during pregnancy, birth and the postpartum
- accurately identifying clients who may require medical/obstetrical attention
I believe that pregnancy and birth are sacred, fundamentally normal, physiological processes. I commit to respect and protect the birth space, allowing labor to take its normal course in order to help every person birth naturally, safely and confidently. A laboring woman needs to feel private, safe, and unobserved, and I work hard to provide subtle but effective observation, only as needed and desired. Essential components of holistic care include attentive, skilled, and evidence-based support, establishing a caring atmosphere, limiting unnecessary interventions, educating clients thoroughly, and respecting the rights of the pregnant person to make decisions about their own care.
I am trained in attending water births (I get asked this a lot!). I have attended births in home, birth center and hospital settings. I'd love to talk more to see if we are the right fit.
What is included
My full fee is $3500 (I offer a sliding scale of $2500-$3500) and includes:
- 24/7 availability for questions or concerns from start of care up to 6 weeks postpartum
- My 5 week childbirth education course (online or in person)
- Herbal pregnancy tea, postpartum tea, postpartum sitz baths and select other herbal remedies
- Being on call for your birth starting at 36 weeks (typically $30 a day in most professions)
- All prenatal appointments in your home (typically once every 4 weeks from 12-28 weeks, every 2 weeks from 28-36 weeks, weekly from 36 weeks, and bi-weekly after 41 weeks, but can be customized)
- Your birth, which includes when you call until about 3 hours after birth, for both myself and an assistant
- 6-8 postpartum checkups for you and baby in your home (24 hours, 2 days, 4 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks)
- Birth certificate filing
- Birth photography and a maternity photo session if desired - all photos on this website were taken by me or someone on my team
**My fee does not include the cost of : lab work or ultrasounds (although I can order them for you), RhoGam, newborn metabolic screening (although I can do this in home for you as part of your care), and a short and simple list of household supplies for your birth.
If you are unable to pay the lower end of my sliding scale fee but know that homebirth is the right choice for you, please still contact me, since in efforts to make midwifery care accessible to all I do offer several births per year at no or very low cost.
I would encourage you to set up a zero pressure, informational consultation with me where you can ask me any questions you might have and learn more about the Duluth Midwife team to see if we are a good fit for working together during your pregnancy and birth.