Midwifery care is a fundamentally different approach to pregnancy and childbirth than contemporary obstetrics. Midwifery care is nurturing, hands-on care before, during, and after birth. Midwives are experts in normal pregnancy and childbirth who develop a trusting relationship with their clients, which results in confident, supported labor and birth. Midwives are trained to provide comprehensive prenatal care and education, guide clients through labor and birth, address complications, and care for normal, healthy newborns. This philosophy and approach is based on the fact that pregnancy and birth are normal life events. The application of this model has been proven to reduce the incidence of birth injury, trauma, and cesarean section. The Midwives Model of Care™ includes:
- monitoring the physical, psychological and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle
- providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, and postpartum support
- minimizing technological interventions
- identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention
I believe that pregnancy and birth are sacred, fundamentally normal, physiological processes. I commit to respect and protect the birth space, allowing labor to take its normal course, in order to help each woman birth naturally, safely and confidently. A laboring woman needs to feel private, safe, and unobserved, and as such I work hard to provide subtle but effective observation, only as needed and desired. Essential components of holistic care include attentive, skilled, and evidence-based support, establishing a caring atmosphere, limiting unnecessary interventions, educating clients thoroughly, and respecting the rights of the pregnant person to make decisions about their own care.
I am trained in attending water births (I get asked this a lot!). I have worked with women from many walks of life, practicing many different style of birthing (Hypnobirth, Bradley, Hypnobabies, no "style", Lamaze), and wanting differing levels of support. I have attended births in home, birth center and hospital settings. I'd love to talk more to see if we are the right fit.
What is included
My full fee is $3000 (I offer a sliding scale of $2000-$3000) and includes:
- 24/7 availability for questions or concerns from start of care up to 6 weeks postpartum
- My 5 week childbirth education course (online or in person)
- Herbal pregnancy tea, postpartum tea, postpartum sitz baths and select other herbal remedies
- Being on call for your birth starting at 37 weeks (typically $30 a day in most professions)
- All prenatal appointments in your home (typically once every 4 weeks from 12-28 weeks, every 2 weeks from 28-36 weeks, and weekly from 36 weeks, and bi-weekly after 41 weeks, but can be customized)
- Your birth, which includes when you call until about 3 hours after birth, for both myself and an assistant
- 6-8 postpartum checkups for you and baby in your home (24 hours, 2 days, 4 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 6 weeks)
- Birth certificate filing
**My fee does not include the cost of : lab work or ultrasounds (although I can order them for you), RhoGam, newborn metabolic screening (although I can do this in home for you as part of your care), and a short and simple list of household supplies for your birth.
If you are unable to pay the lower end of my sliding scale fee, please still contact me, since in efforts to make midwifery care accessible to all I do offer several births per year at no or very low cost.
I would encourage you to set up a zero pressure, informational consultation with me where you can ask me any questions you might have and see if we would be a good fit for working together during your pregnancy and birth.